Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Faculty Spotlight - Johana Melendez

Biology Department
Plant City Campus
Course Range: Traditional, Web-Enhanced and Hybrid for Microbiology and Laboratory

Capital Course:
Microbiology and human disease. When I was in high school I went on a field trip to a University to explore different careers. A Microbiology Professor there showed me an agar plate and some bacteria and I was so fascinated that I knew I wanted to learn more about those little creatures that sometimes make us sick. I have a passion for science and medicine and this class gives me the opportunity to expose my student to both. Here they can know the science behind the diseases people get and gain a better understanding of why sometimes, our body’s defenses lose the battle against microbes. This class gives me the opportunity to be very creative when teaching it and use examples that students can relate to. Subsequently, I find it fun to teach and intriguing to learn.

Optimized Advice:
I advise any new person desiring to teach an on-line or hybrid class to start slow. Get familiar with the technology you will be using first and get organized! You need to have a clear vision of how you will be presenting that topic and what are the learning objectives, so students know what is expected of them and by when (time frame to complete tasks). Students need to know the big...click here to read more

No comments:

Post a Comment