Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Faculty Spotlight - Kristin Heathcock

Librarian, Plant City Campus

Techno Tool: iPads in the Classroom/Library

Ideal Ideology:
Technology plays an increasing role in our lives. In the library realm, technology is a tool that makes many things easier and more complicated simultaneously! For example, students have access to more information today than ever before. Though they have this access, they are frequently unaware of how to access information in an efficient and effective manner. Instead, they are overwhelmed by information. Their instructors often bring them to the library for library instruction, yet my instructional area is a standard “Smart Classroom” – so I do not have any computers for students to use during the instruction.

My dean and I explored the idea of a mobile classroom, and eventually decided to go with an iPad Classroom. This classroom is mobile, easily stored, and fun!

Teachable Moment:
I am my best with students when we are working collaboratively together to solve a problem. The iPads in the classroom allow me to do just this. Rather than being the sole person in the room doing a “show and tell”, the students and I work together to locate information, troubleshoot and more. The iPads allow us to do it all at the same time.

Librarians often work one-on-one with students, and the iPads allow me to do just this. Rather than addressing one student’s question or problem with the entire class, students are able to work independently on their iPads. I rove around the room assisting them as they need help.

Instructional Collaboration:
Librarians and classroom faculty are ideal partners. I’ve had tremendous success in collaborative efforts that focus on addressing the research needs of students.

One English faculty member and I collaborate on the research and writing components for her course each term. This allows the faculty member to have an assignment that meets the needs of the course, while ensuring that the library has the required resources for students to successfully complete the assignment. Additionally, it ensures that students are provided library instruction that truly addresses the requirements of the assignment.

Another faculty member allows me to participate as an embedded librarian in her online courses. This allows me to have direct contact with the students in the class, access to their assignment instructions, and a discussion board for library related questions.

The library databases are the very best resource that we have in the library. There are over 100 databases available at HCC. Many of the databases provide access to more than just printed materials – several have videos and audios! These are such a great resource for faculty to use, as they can show them in their classrooms, require them for student assignments, and direct students to them for additional assistance.

Technological Success:
The classroom set of iPads that I have in the library are very popular. I use them as the “hands-on” component of my library instruction sessions. This allows students to get an active learning experience, while also ensuring that they know and understand how to use the library resources. Students are excited to use them because they’re cool; faculty are excited for them in class because it allows students to use and interact with the databases; and I like them because I find that students really do use them to do in-class research! The recent classes I’ve had use them have stayed in the library instruction area long after the instruction was over – because students were still using the iPads to do research!

No comments:

Post a Comment